Passionate about participation
AKarts explores how the arts can be used to bring people together, to engage, to learn, for wellbeing and to make great art. Founded in 2003 by Alexis K Johnson, AKarts delivers collaborative participatory arts and research projects.
AKarts delivers small to mid scale accomplished participatory arts pieces across the UK. Producing memorable and meaningful art experiences with intergenerational communities and the public in outdoor, gallery and community settings. Every work is unique and interdisciplinary. Art pieces have taken the form of live performance interventions by participants, film or experiential exhibitions.
- Great art that is co-created with participants
- Enjoyable creative adventures for participants
- Arts engagement
- Community cohesion, capacity and wellbeing
- Collaborating with associate artists, film-makers, musicians, writers, choreographers, designers, curators and experts from outside the arts world.
- Co-creating and empowering participants – participants become the canvas, the subject or make with the artists. Making the art meaningful
- Co-creating with stakeholders
AKarts develops bespoke work through commission or in partnership. And has received funding to date from local authorities, Arts Council, Heritage Lottery, trusts and sponsors.
AKarts work with the cultural, social and public sectors to develop and deliver participatory Arts – making participant led artwork across film, performance and visual arts.
Our team: Founded in 2003 and run by artist-educator Alexis K Johnson, AKarts is made up of a small but highly skilled team of associates and artists that include education consultant and curator Jackie Sarafopoulos, sustainability expert Melba Pálházy, BAFTA award winning filmmaker Sue Brook, filmmaker James Johnson, DOP Paul Cowie, animator and editor Paul Didier, choreographers Abby Garcenia and Jummy Bolaji and published author Hon. Victoria Mosely.
Our partners are made up of a very long list of the great and the good, who have provided bags of energy, enthusiasm, talent, skill, high profile venues, friendship and belief. Clients and partners include:
- Adobe, BAFTA, BFI, British Council, Channel 4, Children’s Society, City West Homes, East Thames Housing & East Potential, 7 FE colleges, Film London & Regional Screen Agencies, Greater London Authority, Groundworks, Institute of Contemporary Arts, L&Q Housing, Learning and Skills Council, Lee Valley Estates, 28 London Boroughs – youth service, culture & libraries, London Early Years Foundation, London Metropolitan Police, Museum of British Folklore, NHS Trust Barts & The Royal London, Newlon, Parenting Project, Peabody Housing Trust, Royal Ballet, Royal Philamonic, 40 Schools, Skillset, South Westminster Renewal Partnership, Tate Britain, V&A, Westminster young carers.
We are grateful for their support and the further support of grants, trusts and sponsorship secured through partnerships.
These have included:
AVID, Arts Council England, City Bridge House, Heritage Lottery Funding, ITV local, LG, London Development Agency, Orange, Olga TV, Sky News.